Friday, March 23, 2012

Catch 22

This isn't about the book by Joseph Heller, but if you get the chance you should read it. It's really good.
Anyhow, I have a bit of a catch 22 situation going on. I'm unemployed and I don't have a driver's license. For some reason companies nowadays wants you to have a driver's license even if the job in question is "sitting at a desk moving numbers from one excel spreadsheet to another" or even just working as a cashier. I don't know if they think you need to drive from one side of the store to the other.
However, since I don't have a driver's license I can't seem to get a job and without a job I can't afford getting a driver's license. It currently costs between 15000 and 20000 SEK (that's around 2225 to 2970 US Dollar, or 1680 to 2240 Euro, or 1400 to 1870 Pound sterling) to get a driver's license here in Sweden. So it's not exactly cheap.
Yesterday I thought I could at least start taking some driving lessons with the help of the money I have saved. So I went on the web to apply for a learner's permit. It turns out that I can't get one and I have no idea why. The customer service was not open in the evening, and I don't like calling unknown people anyways, so I sent them an e-mail to see if they could look at it. Still no reply. So I can't get a job and I can't get a driver's license apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment