Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day!

Is this a holiday to celebrate the loved ones or a way for the stores to sell cheap hearts/roses/chocolate extremely expensive?
Let's look at it like this:
Roses normally cost about 2-3 euro each here. This week however they cost about 6-7 euro each. The stores of course claim that it's because there are so few roses available because other countries grab so many for their markets. Right...
Ok, that didn't convince you. How about going to a restaurant to have a nice dinner with your loved one? Normally it would cost about 25-30 euro. This week you can get the exact same food in the exact same restaurant for the cheap price of about 35-40 euro.
The only thing that seems to be about the same price is chocolate. I guess it's really special to give a loved one chocolate on this specific day. Not like you can get chocolate or roses or take her out to a restaurant any day of the year... Oh yeah you can.

Alright, I won't be a complete downer. I think it's great if you put aside a specific day each year to really show your appreciation for the person you love. How about doing that on your anniversary? I can guarantee that if you didn't meet/marry her on Valentine's Day it will be much cheaper and just as romantic. It will be a day that's special for the two of you. Sharing that day with half the world's population doesn't make it special.

For the record I am single and if I did have a girlfriend I probably still wouldn't go out of my way to make Valentine's Day special. I would try to make the anniversary special though, because that's what matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment